Tuesday, April 16, 2013

On Being Neurotic: Work

If I post enough, you'll quickly learn I'm moderately neurotic.   Now, that doesn't make me special, I'm convinced most people are, its more in how we deal with it.  

But, I am.  My head is a constant cacophony of self-doubt, pretty much all the time.  Its fun.

Anyway, I work as a wage slave in a Ford dealer's parts department.  If you need parts for your Ford, hit me up.  Yes, I'm serious on this, I'll hook you up with as good a deal as I can.

I had been driving and working the counter when not in the truck.  Hourly pay + commission off total parts gross.  I had no complaints about anything really.

However, my buddy decided to leave.  Long story, old boss got fired, new boss has little clue what he's doing, got lied to, er, promised, as good a deal at a new place.  Sucks, BUT I got to take his spot.

Now, I'm counter full time working first of all with our body shop, next with our techs, then with wholesale and retail customers.

Pay is now salary + commission off gross of what I sell.  So, now the pressure isn't just to try and make the department money, its to make ME money, which makes the department money.

Now, I work next to a veteran guy.  Been in the biz for years.  Knows his stuff.  Is also completely burnt out.  (Works about 70 hours a week between his two jobs.  He's like 62.  Totally burnt out.)

So, when the techs come to the counter, seriously, this is something I obsess about, I worry that I try and help them too fast.

Yes, I worry I am being TOO helpful at my job.

I don't want to look like I'm just being greedy.  But if I'm not doing anything more than reading the news, or on GAB or something, I'm not going to finish that before I help someone who's 1) trying to make money for themselves and 2) can potentially make me money.

But seriously, this is something that concerns me.  I don't want my coworker to think I'm just grabbing all the money.  I also don't think the techs should stand there waiting on us to finish reading our article before we help them.

I'm digging my new spot for the most part, but I really hope I can find a balance here.  I purposely am "slow" on helping the guys sometimes just to make sure he gets some extra shots.

I know its not my place to worry about him, but I'd prefer to keep things harmonious.

Ah well.   I'll just be happy when my first commission check shows up next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment